크게 작게 위로 아래로 게시글 수정 내역 댓글로 가기 인쇄
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 게시글 수정 내역 댓글로 가기 인쇄
June 9, 2013
Taxi all by myself
I became much more familiar with Addis today. Last night's sleep was great and I felt recharged this
morning. Sholae called me and told me to meet him at Mexico. I was surprised and flattered. Surprised
because I expected in my mind him to meet me here. But then thinking a bit more, I realize how
cumbersome it would've been for him to come to Gabriel only to go back to Mexico again. Also, the
taxi fare would've been a waste for him. Flattered a bit because he considered me able to take on such a
task. We did get on several taxis yesterday, and I think Sholae had confidence that I had caught on.
It turned out not to be so bad. I had a bit of trouble figuring out what place was appropriate to catch a
taxi, but found one going to Mexico. Of course I was still not familiar with the area, and by chance I
happened to spot our rendezvous point (cafe we visited yesterday).
Here, taxi's are old raggedy minibuses which have 9 seats. Most of the time there are more than 9
passengers. Taxis are usually but not always white and blue. There is the driver who operates the
vehicle and a collector who also yells out the destination out the window. The fare is cheap: 1.40/2.70
for short and long distances respectively. There are fares for longer distances but I'm not quite sure of
the price. The whole system is crude but it works. It's private, meaning each driver/collector pair reaps
in 100% of the profit. No central figure dictates routes of the taxis. There are subways and trains under
construction but Addis Ababa will have to wait two years.
One of the many taxi in Addis Ababa
Sunday Worship at Mekena Yesus Church
After adding more minutes to my balance on my phone, we headed for worship. Upon arriving at 9AM,
we saw that service had already started. Later we found out that that Sunday was a special Sunday and
worship started at 8:30.
By the way I'll make a short note on time here in Ethiopia. Here, what we call 9AM they call 3AM. So
for us, we would usually have lunch around 12:30 PM right? They call that 6:30 PM. That is mid-day
for them.
We tried to squeeze in and find a spot. I tried to get what I could through Sholae's intermittent
translations. Simple incomplete sentences were all I had to meditate on. In general it was something on
repentance by the power of Christ.
Seeing Lucy
Sholae took me to the National Museum of Ethiopia where we saw the skeleton fragments of the
infamous Lucy—the oldest human fossils. Sholae did some talking at the entrance and got me in for 2
birr (smooth talker that chap is). He told her I was a student but happened not to bring my student id.
Admissions are originally 50 birr per person. Afterwards, we went to eat injera with two dishes. One
was like grounded meat, and the other was small chewy meat chunks. One is supposed to take the
injera and use it to grab the meat and eat. Injera is a thin, moist pancake-like bread that tastes slightly
sour.
Interesting conversation on music/dance and Christianity
We visited a “music and media” center because Sholae needed to talk to the owner. He explained that
they were acquaintances. The guy wasn't there, but there was a hip-hop class session going on in front
of the building. It was an intriguing scene with many young people gathering to dance. I was kind of
unconsciously drawn in and found myself wanting to interact with them, but it wasn't long until Sholae
wanted to leave. “It's not good. Dance is from the devil,” he said shortly after we left. I was alarmed as
I had never considered it like that. From what I could deduce from the explanation he gave in broken
English, he said that dance is a worldly thing and it's dangerous to intermix it closely with church.
Lastly, he said, “Christian life is about living a limited life.” That last phrase pretty much summarized
Sholae's conservative stance regarding our faith.
Back to the airport and evening farewell
We went back to the airport in Bole to get my bag that arrived. After retrieving my bag, the man at the
exit checkpoint saw through the x-ray that I had two laptops. He also asked if I had one in my
backpack. I told him I had an ipad to which he responded that everyone is limited to one computer. He
considered my ipad a computer and told me I had to pay tax for the other two (these two computers are
used laptops that I brought with me to donate for the computer classes they do here). I was actually
warned of this beforehand, but I took a risk in calling them out for BS. I laughed at him like it was a
joke, but he wanted to see the computers. Seeing that they were used (the lenovo one even had minor
cracks on the screen), he was surprised. “It's [lenovo laptop] broken!” he told me with an expression
that suggested that I did not know this. “They're used,” I shrugged with my eyebrows raised. No longer
interested, he let me go. Whether it is an actual government rule or their deceitful way of making
money I'm not sure. But from what had happened to me, I think it's BS.
Tomorrow from Monday to Friday I am to join Dr. Obi at the SIM clinic. I haven't been able to contact
Dr. Obi or find out information beyond the fact that I should be meeting a Dr. Obi at the SIM
headquarters. Pastor Park also left me information telling me that there are morning prayer meetings at
the chapel at 8:30 AM. I'll go to the meeting tomorrow morning and go from there. Sholae showed me
how to get to SIM by actually going there with me. This was necessary because Sholae has class
tomorrow and won't be able to be with me like yesterday and today. We ran into Maya, a local guard
where Sholae lives. I got back without him. Now, I have all my stuff, including toiletries. Just took a
shower and I feel like a new man. Now to replace the light that just went out...
Thoughts so far
Two days in Addis Ababa, and I am fairly comfortable. I'm not too picky with food. Injera is good.
Weather is not so hot—cool for the most part actually. I have plenty of money to sustain me. The rest of
the 28 days are days I look forward to. I am excited about all of the things God has in store for me.
Lord, help me to remain focused and alert to Your voice. Thank You for the progress I've made so far
and the safety You have given me. Thank You for Sholae. Continue to show me Your hand and glory
here in Ethiopia. Use me to further Your Kingdom and the Gospel of Jesus Christ here in Addis Ababa
the way You see fit.
Money Spent ($1 = 18.59 birr)
25 @ adding minutes to phone
6+3+10+20+8 @ transportation (paid for Sholae also)
200 @ offering
10 @ injera (Sholae paid for the bulk of it)
15 @ macchiato (me and Sholae)

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
29 IKC 2022 김상헌 2022.07.28 75
28 2017 아이티 여름 단기선교 김상헌 2017.06.10 238
27 IKC 2017 자원 봉사자 모집 김상헌 2017.04.14 185
26 2017년 여름 단기 선교 file 김상헌 2017.01.05 162
25 2014 겨울 하이티 단기선교 지원서(영문) file 현진영 2014.10.27 1526
24 2014년 여름 하이티 단기선교 안내 1 file 현진영 2014.03.08 3189
23 중앙아시아(카작스탄, 우루크라이)단기선교 안내 2 file 김상헌 2014.02.21 2871
22 GKYM 2013 김상헌 2013.11.17 2839
21 가운데(중) 나라 단선 2 김상헌 2013.08.14 3897